LEADERSHIP: How To Become A Good Leader
Leadership is not just a title, it is who you are. It is the ability to inspire and influence a group of people to achieve worthwhile goals. Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want to be done because he wants to do it. It is the ability and willingness to recognize, recruit, refine, replicate, release and reproduce skills. Leadership is essential because “the greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things”. President Ronald Reagan
HOW TO BECOME A GOOD LEADER
The ways to become a good leader are:
- Solve your own problems first
- Help others solve their own problems by the things you have discovered when solving your own problem.
- God changes a leader before He uses a leader to create a change
- The quickest route to become a leader is problem-solving
- Help others grow and in the process groom who will take over from you [successor] by providing directions
- Learn to communicate effectively
- Be decisive and care a whole lot about the well being of your followers
- Learn to listen as a leader, don’t be partial.
- Show appreciation [gratitude]for their efforts
- He is a teacher and same time a coach.
THE COST OF LEADERSHIP
The following are the cost of leadership;
- Hard work
- Self sacrifice
- Fear, worry, and Anxiety.
- High level of Hypocrisy
- Making and taking decision [either hard nor soft]
- High expectations
- Invasion of privacy because you will be monitored
- Comparison with others before you
- Accepting responsibility
Never forget that the essence of leadership is SERVICE and the three  keys to more abundant living according to William Ward are:
- Caring for others
- Daring for others
- Sharing with others
Learn to serve so that you will be served in return.
LEVELS OF LEADERSHIP
According to John Maxwell, there are five  levels of leadership, they are:
POSITION LEADERSHIP: This is leadership by position and it is the least level of leadership
LEADERSHIP BY PERMISSION: this is based on people who give you the right to lead them
LEADERSHIP BY PRODUCTION: This is based on the result you produce
LEADERSHIP BY PEOPLE DEVELOPMENT: This is when you have people you have developed
LEADERSHIP BY PERSONHOOD: This leadership is an institution which is the pinnacle of leadership.
CHARACTERISTICS OF A LEADER
- Leaders initiate change
- Leaders have a sense of divine timing.
- Leaders have vision
- Leaders have commitment. “if your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader” President John Quincy Adams
- Leaders connect with people and are honest with them
- Leaders have a positive attitude. The we-can-kinda-attitude
- A good leader stay humble but confident
- They are courageous, patient, tenacious and still stay calm under immense pressure.
- A good leader should be flexible and not too rigid.
- He must possess the ability to delegate
- A good leader should be able to stay focus and command respect
- He must learn to communicate effectively
In conclusion, a good leader determines the success of an institution or organization. According to Willian Arthur Ward’s postulation “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires”.
Leroy Eimes, author and leadership expert also postulates “A leader is one who sees more than others see, who sees farther than others see and who sees before others see”. As a leader, you have the responsibility to bring out the best in your followers. Never forget “A leader is a dealer in hope” Napoleon Bonaparte, military leader
Kindly drop your views in the comment box so as to serve you better and please don’t forget to share.